How to start flows or checklists
Userflow allows you to start a flow or a checklist in different ways.
- Automatically via Auto-start conditions
- From an action in Checklist/Launcher/Flow
- From a Link
- From an embedded button in your application
Start Automatically via Auto-start conditions.
You can start a flow or checklist automatically by using auto-start conditions. You do this by enabling them in the far left of your builder.
One can start and segment flows and checklists based on
- User attribute - You can send user/group attributes via the Userflow.js, theHubSpot Integration, or the API
- Current page - The page the user is currently on. This Userflow tracks automatically if Userflow.js is installed
- Event - You can either send events that happens outside of flows via userflow.track in Userflow.js or our no-code event trackers.
- Flow/Checklist - Start the flow/checklist if another flow/checklist is completed/seen.
- Element - Start the flow/checklist if a certain UI element in your app is present/clicked.
- Text input value - Start the flow/checklist if the user fills in a specific value in a field.
- User fills in input - Start the flow/checklist if the user fills in any input in a field.
Things to note
- One can combine the conditions and make and/or combinations.
- Once a checklist is started it will persist on the screen unless it is dismissed
A flow will by default only start once per user, but you can change it to start unlimited times. If you do this make sure that it does not restart on being dismissed by adding an event condition
Flow started exactly 0 times in the last 1 hr where flow id is <flow id>
Start from an action in Checklist/Launcher/Flow
One can start a flow/checklist from another checklist/launcher/flow by adding an action. See screenshots for each below.
Checklist task action
Flow button/trigger action
Start from a Link
One can use a link or an embedded button to start a flow or checklist in your app.
To start a flow/checklist from a specific link simply append
?<flow id>to the end of the url. e.g. if I want to start a flow on
https://userflow.com/dashboard, would make the url
You can find the flow id and an example by clicking on View other ways to start a flow by the auto-start conditions.
userflow.start(). See more info on how to do this in this guide.
What if the flow/checklist is not starting?
If you used one of the methods above and your flow/checklist is not starting, then see this troubleshooting guide to find out what might be the reason.